If you have a story that you want included in the book please email it to: welcomeout1@gmail.com

Please when you send in your story let me know if you want your name used. I appreciate everyone's help with this project and will list all of those who helped make this book possible.





Monday, December 21, 2009

other perspectives

Please let me know what you think.

I was recently asked if I would be interested in including the views of people such as clergy, teachers, school principals, etc. I originally was just looking for the views of queer people and our families and friends. But then I thought these people can have alot of influence on us. Most of us have gone to church and all of us have gone to school and these people's opinions of us can fuel that fear people have about coming out.

Since coming out myself I have found the opinion of these people surprised me. My mother works at a convent and told some of the nuns that I am gay. The nuns (who have known me for years) told my mom she had to make sure she was understanding about it and made sure she was being compassionate about it. Now I was always told that the catholic church disapproved of homosexuality, so this surprised me. Now if I would have known how understanding and open these people would have been I could have come out years ago.These ladies were not the only people who have surprised me by their reaction.

I stayed in the closet for a good 10-15 years because I was scared of how I was going to be treated by those closest to me. Since coming out most of these people have been very supportive. I kind of wish I would have known that it was possible for these people to still accept me after I told them I was gay.

SO what do you think about including stories from influential people such as clergy, teachers, principals, coworkers, bosses, etc? Do you think it would be a good addition? Please let me know by leaving a comment below.

I hope you all have a wonderful time enjoying your holiday season with your families and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment