If you have a story that you want included in the book please email it to: welcomeout1@gmail.com

Please when you send in your story let me know if you want your name used. I appreciate everyone's help with this project and will list all of those who helped make this book possible.





Thursday, December 17, 2009

writing a book for you and about you

About 15 years ago I started to come out of the closet as a lesbian. It was quite scary. I had thoughts such as "How is the world going to see me?" and"What will my parents say?" and lots of other questions. It can be scary sometimes to come out depending on your personal situation at the time. I came from a family that was Catholic and even though my parents never actually told me that being gay was bad, but I still was afraid to be open about myself. I told only one person right away it then took me many years to fully come out to everyone else.

I know it can be scary. I had wished I had someone who could explain to me how they were able to come out. I thought if I understood how it was for other people I could maybe find a way to come out myself. I was fortunate enough to meet a great group of lesbians that helped me do just that. I know other people may not be that lucky and might feel very alone.

So I decided to write a book about my coming out story and the stories of others in the LGTB community. I have decided to title it "Welcome Out". I am hoping that this book can be read by other people struggling with the decision of wether or not to come out. I have received some wondeful stories from some awesome people. I still need more to make this book a reality. I know my story and the stories of my friends. But these stories are all diffrent. People are diffrent and so are their circumstances.

I am looking for any coming out stories. Some stories are happy and some are sad. But these stories are about our lives. I dont need much just a story about when you knew you were gay, when you knew you needed to tell your parents or family, how you did it, and how things have been since. The story does not have to be long. Some people's stories are more complex than others. The more stories I have in the book the greater the possibility someone will read it and say "Wait this is how I feel"

I hope you have a story you are willing to share. I will only include a name if you tell me to do so. I understand that this is a very personal thing to share. But remember before you were out? Remember how isolated you felt? How different you felt? Through this book other people can see that they are not alone, there are alot of us in the world.

Please if you have a story that you would like to submit please email it to me. My address is ahinz10@gmail.com. I can't wait to read you story. And thank you in advance for helping me make this book. I can only do this with your help. Our community needs this.

Take Care,

Amber

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. Can't wait to write something up and contribute. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete